|Hello and welcome to the fifth newsletter of the year. Again I have to say that the news within is not what we were hoping to send out at this time of the year but we are all dealing with a very difficult situation. However with some Bowls Clubs starting to open and bowlers back out on the greens again, even with strict guidelines and with social distancing rules, maybe next months newsletter will be different.|
|Recently Presidents Charlotte and Joe plus Secretaries Sheron and John have between them called (or tried to call) every Club Contact within the County and asked them a series of questions. Here is a quick precis of what we learnt
These numbers are rough …
27% of clubs opened in May
28% clubs are planning to open in June
30% are either opening later in the season or are not sure if they will open
15% are not planning to open this season
Most clubs are aware that they can claim at least 2 types of Grant but not all clubs are. The Grant from your local Council – although the majority of clubs have received this some have not asked for it. We have even been made aware that a club that doesn’t pay Rates has been given the small business rebate of £10k, so it is worth calling your Council to find out if you are eligible. Sports England Grant – we are aware that a number of clubs do not know that they can claim this grant. It can be claimed online and be claimed by ANY sports club in England. You can claim both of these grants if you want to. Just because you got one does not mean you cannot claim the other. Many clubs have claimed and received both grants. I have attached the email from BE regarding this.
Whilst the majority of our clubs are ok and have been keeping in close contact with their members we are aware that some clubs have sadly lost some members or have had very poorly members. We send our best wishes to those that have been ill and our condolences to the family and friends of those that have passed away.
|A Note from BE
National Champion of Champions 2021
Further to recent enquiries received, I write to remind you that all those entries received for the Bowls England National Champion of Champions from Clubs and County Associations for 2020 will automatically roll over to the 2021 season (utilising entry fees paid for the 2020 season). If your club runs a Chmpionship this year your 2020 Champion can ALSO enter the BE CofC in 2021.
|ASK THE UMPIRE
Last months question How can a bowl which has NOT touched the jack be legally marked as a toucher?
The answer is
If a player mistakenly delivers the wrong bowl and it touches the jack. When the bowl is replaced with the players correct bowl it will be marked as a toucher.
The question for this month is:-
|BE and Other Associations emails that have been received this month. If you would like me to forward any of them to you please just email me at BowlsSurrey@gmail.com
1) 4th May – BE Official Magazine
2) 4th May – Apply Now For Your Share OF £20Million Coronavirus Pot
3) 5th May – BE Offical Podcast ‘The Extra End’ – Episode 5 – John & Katherine Rednall
4) 7th May – BE Orbituary Bill Hatto (Surrey)
5) 7th May – BE Chair – A note from the Chair
6) 12th May – BE Statement – The UK Government’s Covid-19 Recovery Strategy
7) 12th May – Holding Statement on reopening of Bowling Greens issued by BE Chair
8) 12th May – Social Media Webinar – slides and information
9) 14th May – BE Offical Posdcast ‘The Extra End’ – Episode 5 – Amy Gowshall
10) 14th May – BE Covid 19 – Supplementary Guide For Bowls Clubs – I sent this to all Club Contacts (CE)
11) 17th May – Hand Sanitiser Brochure & Price Guide – Discounted for Bowling Clubs
12) 18th May – Coach Bowls – Sign up now for new online adult safeguarding in bowls course
13) 18th May – BE COVID-19 Safety Information Poster
14) 19th May – Disability Bowls England Statement – COVID-19 return to bowls
15) 20th May – BE National Champion of Champions 2021 information – Printed in this newsletter
16) 21st May – BE Return to Sport FAQ’s
17) 22nd May – Message from the Chair – David Tucker
18) 26th May – Minutes of Board Meeting held on Wednesday 13th May 2020
19) 27th May – Major Funding Boost Announced for Warwick District for Commonwealth Games
20) 19th May – Return To Sport – easing of restrictions
|The Bowls Surrey Facebook Page now has 518 people following it …. If you are on Facebook why not click the ‘like’ button to get regular updates and see what is going on.|
|The Trustees of the SCBA Benevolent Fund are very aware that we are in very difficult and unknown times which can cause sudden and extreme hardship. In the last eight months the Fund has made three grants totalling £1,040. WE ARE HERE TO HELP!
The Benevolent Fund is a charitable fund which exists solely to help Surrey Bowlers (who are or have been affiliated members of the Surrey County Bowling Association) and/or their dependents who from age, illness, infirmity or any other cause are impoverished or in difficult financial circumstances.
If you are in this situation or know of anyone who fits these criteria, please contact one of the four trustees whose details are below. All applications are treated in TOTAL confidence by The Trustees.
Please send either by post or email all relevant details to support your application to one of the following:
Roger Rashleigh – 66b, Bracken Path, Epsom. KT18 7SZ – email@example.com
Tony Bourne – 8 Sixth Avenue, Holly Lodge, Lower Kingswood, Tadworth, KT20 6SN – firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrew Boarer – 20, Choir Green, Knaphill, Woking GU21 2NQ – email@example.com
Edward Dear – 34, Rickwood Park, Beare Green, Dorking RH5 4PP – firstname.lastname@example.org